- ask someone to marry you
After dating his girlfriend for several years he finally asked for her hand in marriage.
- feel a physical or emotional attraction to someone
I was attracted to the woman at the party from the moment that I first met her.
- a date where the two people have never met before
I went on a blind date in university but it did not work out very well.
- cause someone emotional pain
The man broke his girlfriend's heart when he told her that he was no longer in love with her.
- end a relationship
They broke up after dating for more than three years.
- think that another person is wonderful
My cousin has been crazy about the bank manager for many months now.
- go on or have a date with someone
My sister has been dating her boyfriend for over two years now.
- like someone a lot (dig someone is not a commonly used idiom now)
She really digs the boy in her chemistry class.
- a date where two couples get together to do something
It was a good idea to go on the double date even though everybody wanted to do something different.
- end a relationship by telling someone that you don't want to see him or her
The woman dumped her boyfriend after they began to have many fights.
- fall in love with someone
She always seems to fall for the wrong person and is never happy.
- begin to feel love for someone
He fell in love with a woman from his university class and they got married several months later.
- find the right or perfect person
She is always hoping to find Mr. Right but so far she hasn't had any luck.
- the first person that one falls in love with
Her first love was with a boy in her high school art class.
- have a good friendly relationship with someone
The woman gets along with her friends very well.
- return to a relationship or marriage after breaking up
The man got back together with his girlfriend after separating for several months last winter.
- decide to marry someone
He got engaged to his wife several years before they actually got married.
- get married
My sister and her boyfriend surprised everyone by suddenly getting hitched last weekend.
- a relationship becomes serious and long-term
The two students dated for several months before they began to get serious.
- try to save a relationship by forgiving and welcoming the other person back
The girl's boyfriend left her for several months but when he wanted to come back she was happy to give him a second chance.
- a date where each person pays half of the expenses
In university many of the students had little money so they often went dutch when they were on a date.
- two people who get along well with each other
They are very good together and nobody has ever seen them argue.
- go on a date or be dating someone
I have been going out with a woman from my hiking club for several months now.
- date one person regularly (not so common recently but at one time used often by teenagers)
The two students have been going steady for three years now.
- have strong feelings of love for someone (often for a short time and with no results)
The young girl had a crush on her teacher in junior high school but of course it was an impossible situation.
- be attracted and care a lot about someone
She seems to have a thing for the new guy who just started to work at her company.
- be very much in love with someone
My friend is head over heels in love with the accountant in his new company.
- get along well with someone (usually from the beginning)
I hit it off with a woman in my photography class and we have been dating for several months now.
- be obsessed with another person
The young woman has been hung up on a member of her tennis club for many months now.
- have a romantic interest in someone and possibly want to date that person
My sister has been interested in one of the students in her university biology class for many months now.
- become friends again after a fight or argument
After they have a fight the couple is always very quick to kiss and make up.
- end a relationship with your partner and start a relationship with someone else
The man left his wife for his secretary but soon discovered that his life was worse than before.
- fall in love with someone (or something) the first time that one sees him or her
When I saw the woman at the party it was love at first sight and I knew that I wanted to meet her.
- two people who get along extremely well
Although we had some differences we got along very well together and seemed to be made for each other.
- look at someone in a way that makes it clear that you like that person and find them attractive
The man became angry when he thought that his girlfriend was making eyes at someone else at the party.
- when two people forgive each other after an argument or begin to see each other again after ending a relationship
The couple had a big fight at the restaurant but they quickly made up and things quickly got back to normal.
- a couple who get along perfectly
When the two people finally got together it was a match made in heaven and everyone thought that they would stay together forever.
- find the right partner, the one to marry
When she moved to Madrid she joked that she would never return home if she met the right guy.
- a relationship or a marriage that is experiencing problems
They are experiencing many problems at the moment and their relationship appears to be on the rocks.
- the right partner, the one to marry
As soon as I introduced my girlfriend to my mother she said that she was probably the one for me.
- the only person that one loves
She was his one and only and he felt lost when the relationship ended.
- repair a broken relationship
Although the couple had been fighting and wanted to separate they managed to patch up their relationship and are now very happy together.
- two people who appear to get along perfectly
Our neighors have always seemed to be the perfect couple.
- ask someone to marry you
He put much thought into his possible wedding before he actually decided to pop the question.
- infatuation (strong feelings of love) between school-age children or teenagers
The two teenagers thought that their love was the greatest in the world but everyone knew that it was only puppy love.
- get married (during a wedding ceremony it is common to say "I do" when you agree to marry your partner)
He loved the woman very much and was hoping that she would say "I do" as soon as they could make the wedding arrangements.
- be dating someone on a regular basis
The woman was not seeing anyone when she met a man who she liked at the party.
- decide on a date for a wedding
After thinking about marriage for a long time they have finally decided to set a date.
- establish a regular routine after getting married
After dating dozens of women the young man finally decided to settle down.
- two people in a relationship decide to end their relationship
My sister's daughter and her boyfriend decided to split up after being together for seven years.
- cause someone to fall in love with you
She quickly stole the heart of the man who was working beside her at her office.
- get married and take your wedding vows (promises)
They were taking their vows down at the county courthouse when I came for a visit.
- the words "I love you"
After several months of dating the young man finally said those three little words to his girlfriend.
- get married
After dating for several years the young couple suddenly decided to tie the knot.
- a genuine feeling of romantic love
It seemed like true love until we began to fight all of the time.
- love that is not returned, one-way love
The woman was in love with the president of her company but from the beginning it was a case of unrequited love.
- get married (in this case in a Christian church where many weddings take place and where the bride walks down the aisle to the altar)
They get along very well and they have finally decided to walk down the aisle and begin their life together.
- abandon your partner and end a relationship
The man walked out on his wife and their small baby and nobody knew the reason why.
- romantic, intimate talk
The movie was rather romantic and most of the scenes had the actor whispering sweet nothings in the ear of the actress.